"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, a home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten and the future worth living for."

Monday, December 7, 2009

Solutions For A Picky Eating Toddler

We all know that toddlers can be picky eaters. Landon is no exception. Landon refuses to eat anything other than potatoes, rice, and noodles. He won't eat any meat unless it's a chicken nugget and fruits and veggies are out of the question. He used to eat 5 apple slices everyday as a snack and he would eat a whole pineapple by himself in a single sitting if allowed. Now he won't touch either of them. Landon just refuses to eat. I was getting tired of pulling my hair out at meal times and stressing over the fact that he wasn't getting the necessary nutrients that his growing body requires. I have always pureed veggies into Landon's meals, but now it is becoming a daily habit. I want to make sure that he eats as well as possible even if he refuses to eat anything other than a potato.

If you have a toddler who is a picky eater, then I have a few tips for you. Pureed cauliflower can be mixed into a mashed potato without any significant difference because it is white. Cauliflower can also be mixed into eggs. Just mix the puree into the egg as you scramble it and your little one with be eating healthier and never know it.

Last night I made chicken nuggets for Landon. I pureed spinach and added it to the egg that I dipped the chicken into. I then coated the chicken with flour and baked them. Landon never knew and gobbled them up. Beets and broccoli have also worked well with the chicken nuggets.

Tonight I had great success with mixing pureed squash into Landon's spaghetti. Landon loved the spaghetti like usual. I just had the added satisfaction that he was eating a little healthier without the struggle that usually ensues over his eating habits at dinner. Some people may say that I am deceiving Landon. I just think that I am giving him the very best nutrition. I know he likes these things, but he is at the age where he just outright refuses to eat anything. I don't see any harm in hiding extra fruits and veggies into Landon's food. It gives me a sense of relief that he is getting all of his vitamins and nutrients even if I do go about it in the form of purees. I will routinely blog about new puree ideas as I try them out on Landon. The possibilities are endless.

If you are just starting out with purees then try to puree a number of different foods at one time. I made all of Landon's baby food this way. Buy all of the fruits and veggies that you will be using for the next week or two. Puree it and pour it into ice cube trays. Once they are frozen then pop them out and place them into Ziploc baggies. All you have to do is defrost and mix as you need them. It saves a lot of time and hassle in the long run.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Visitor Map