"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, a home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten and the future worth living for."

Friday, November 13, 2009

Landon's 1st ER Visit

I knew it would only be a matter of time before Landon had his first real injury. Last night as I was getting Landon into bed he ran into the corner of the window sill. Just from the sound of his screams I knew it was going to be bad. Landon rarely cries when he gets hurts. In fact, just the other day he was bit up by ants and didn't even flinch. He screamed like I have never heard him scream before. I went over to see what had happened and saw that his upper lip was cut a little. I took him out of the room and into the bathroom to clean up his lip when he opened his mouth. It was filled with blood and that is when I realized that he had torn off his upper labial frenulum (the piece of skin that connects your upper lip to your upper gum). It was completely separated from his gum. Once all of the blood was cleaned up Landon had pretty much calmed down. I, however, was still a wreck. I thought I was going to vomit and I was having trouble breathing. My nerves were all over the place and I couldn't stand seeing Landon in so much pain. I think I lost it more than Landon did. I was a wreck all night long and within minutes Landon was back to his old self. Once Landon was all cleaned up I called his doctor to see what should be done. When the doctor returned my call she sounded kind of perturbed with me. I had explained what had happened and asked her if the piece of skin would heal on its own or if I had to take him to the ER. She told me that there is nothing that she can do over the phone and that I shouldn't have called. If it was in fact torn, then I had to take him in immediately for it to be repaired and she then reiterated that she could do nothing for me over the phone. All I wanted to know from her is whether it would heal on its own or not. Of course we took her advise and took Landon into the ER. Several hours later the doctor saw him and told us that there is nothing that they can do. The piece will heal on its own and if it doesn't re-attach then it is no big deal. I just have to keep pressure and ice on it throughout the next couple of days. Obviously, the doctor has no children or else he wouldn't have suggested for me to try to keep Landon still for me to put pressure on his wound. We are overcoming the ice obstacle by eating popsicles and water ice. I think Landon's pediatrician sent us into the ER because I had bothered her at home to ask her what should be done. I'm sure she knew full and well that it would heal all on its own. She just wanted me to spend all night in the ER since I disturbed her. We will soon be looking for a new pediatrician. I am hoping that Landon's lip heals soon and that this is the last injury for him for quite some time. My nerves can't handle any more!
Landon wanting his hospital bracelet off. He didn't like it on his wrist.They made me wake him to take his weight. He was not a happy camper.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Visitor Map