"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, a home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten and the future worth living for."

Monday, April 18, 2011

Child Labor

Today has been the third day in a row that Landon has colored some part of the house with crayons and markers. Needless to say, all writing utensils are now put up out of his sight and reach. Landon has an art desk in his closet that is filled with crayons, markers, and coloring books. He is able to use these things at his own leisure and we have never had a problem with doing so over the past year. Just the other day I stepped out of the shower to see Landon completely covered in marker. He even managed to cover his eye lids in green marker.
He found the arts and crafts bag that I had underneath my bed. I forgot that there was a box of markers in there. Thankfully, I don't buy any crayons or markers that are not washable.

A few days later I found my bedroom carpet covered in marker while Landon was suppose to be napping. He never takes a nap anymore. I should have known he was up to something when he asked to go "night night in Mommy's bed" in the middle of the afternoon. I allowed him to go lay down in my bed. I came in to check on him about an hour later and he got into the markers that I took away several days before. I thought I placed them high enough, but apparently not.

The next day Landon was in his room playing. I went to check on him and saw that he colored all over his bedroom wall with his Tadoodle markers that were on his art desk. I explained to him that we can only color on paper, placed him on time out, and cleaned up the walls. Then today I find him once again coloring on his walls with his crayons. This time I decided to make him clean the mess. He wasn't allowed out of the room until the walls were clean. Since he is only two I wasn't expecting too much from him with the cleaning. I know his version of clean and my version of clean are two different things. I just wanted him to attempt cleaning the walls. I watched him wash the walls by himself for about ten minutes. He got most of the crayon off. He then tells me "boy done" and asks to read a book. Hopefully having him clean the walls will teach him not to color on them. Just to be safe all crayons and markers have been put up on top of his closet.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Visitor Map