"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, a home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten and the future worth living for."

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Parenting Initiation

When people discuss parenthood they usually talk about how great it is. They always say that the love between the parents and child is unlike any other. It is a love so deep that it can not be put into words. They always talk about the joy and good times that go along with raising children. People never talk about the initiation process that goes hand in hand with parenting. Parenting doesn't come easy and I have always felt like we were always being slowly initiated into the parenting club. Being peed on and pooped on are the first steps. The next step is being spit up on after you just freshly showered and dressed from a previous spit up mess. Once you stay up all night long with a sick baby, a crying baby, or with a baby that just refused to sleep you move several more steps up the parenting ladder. Surviving the first real injury that your child receives and surviving potty training allow you to take even more steps up that ladder. I have completed all of these initiation steps (several of which have been completed many times over again!). Now that I have survived Landon's first car sickness I consider myself an official card holding member of the Parenting Club! Or at least a member of the Toddler Parenting Club. I haven't had to experience the nervousness of Landon driving for the first time or having to stay up all night waiting for him to come home. I am sure those things will be happening within a blink of an eye. 

Today Landon was in the car and got sick out of nowhere. He was feeling fine all day. He hadn't even had a single cough and then all of a sudden I hear him throwing up in the backseat. I start climbing over the back seat to get to him as Jenn pulls off of the road. It was also his first true throwing up episode. He has only thrown up one other time and that was just mainly liquids. Today it was a full on vomit fest that made it's way into every crevice and crack of his car seat. It was terrible and he just kept repeating "oh oh" over and over again when he realized that he was soaking wet. I pull Landon out of his car seat and Jenn undressed him as I attempted to clean his car seat out. I still have no idea what made him sick, but he was acting like nothing happened. He still isn't acting sick. I am hoping that he does not inherit my motion sickness. I still get sick in the car, especially if I have to read anything...even anything as simple as reading directions makes me sick. I can't even swing on a swing or walk onto a dock above water without feeling queasy. I really hope that he is not becoming motion sick like me. I was really bad off as a child and dreaded car rides. Playing at the playground was also a nightmare for me because I couldn't swing or play on the merry-go-round like the rest of the kids. I also hope that he is not coming down with anything, but so far so good. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Visitor Map